Sunday, August 14, 2011

Transitional Love

I broke up with my boyfriend of 1 year 3 months and 2 weeks today. But I don't really even like calling it a break up. I like to think of it as more of a transition. You see, we had a great run and I still love and care deeply for him. We just got to a point where we were getting along as a couple so we decided to just be good friends, best friends at that. Anyways, this has me thinking a lot about love and what it really is.

Our culture limits love so much. We limit it to the point where when we say, "Well I love you." It can be assumed that there is romantic interest involved. But that's not what love is. Love is not mushy, gushy feelings that we have for someone when we think they're cute. Love is so much more than that. Love is transitional.

There are so many different forms and kinds of love. There's the way you love a family member, the way you love a friend, the way you love a spouse, the way you love someone you're in a relationship with, and so many more. But what we often fail to realize, is that it's ALL love. If you love someone you were dating and then you break up, it doesn't have to mean that you don't love them anymore, simply that you love them in a different form of love. Just because I have broken up with Mark doesn't mean I don't love him, completely on the contrary. I still love him. I just love him in a different shape. The love is making a transition from romantic love to brotherly, best friend love. And just because love makes transitions to different types, it never has to change the quantity or quality of the love.

Love is love. We're the ones that really complicate love by trying to make it a feeling. But love is not a feeling at all. Love is a condition put into action. 1 Corinthians 13 talks about love and names several actions to describe it. Patient, kind, doesn't envy, doesn't boast, isn't proud, doesn't dishonor others, isn't self-seeking, not easily angered, keeps no records of wrongs, doesn't delight in evil, rejoices in truth, it protects, hopes, trusts, perseveres. Love never fails. All of the phrases used to describe love in the Bible are actions. Love is actional. And the greatest act of love is Jesus' death on the cross.

Love is transitional because it never fails. I believe that love is like matter and cannot be destroyed, only transferred into different shapes and forms. In my previous post I mentioned Jesus compares himself to two indestructable things. God is love, yet another indestructable element to describe our God.

Love is transitional. Love cannot be destroyed. God is love.

LOVE NEVER FAILS.

No comments:

Post a Comment