Thursday, May 31, 2018

Epilepsy Changed My Life

Nine years ago I had my first seizure, alone in the bathroom at church. Because I was so disoriented, my parents took me to the ER, having no idea that the doctors were going to tell them that I had viral encephalitis, a brain infection, right before I had my second seizure in the ER. After 18 days in the hospital getting treated, the next 8 years went by incident free and I lived a normal, mostly carefree life. I wasn’t prepared for March 13, 2017 when I unexpectedly had another seizure. I had 6 seizures total in 2017. After an EEG in December of that year, my neurologist determined that I had developed epilepsy as a result of the scar tissue on the temporal lobe of my brain left from the viral encephalitis.

Epilepsy has changed my life. This has not been a dramatic, 180 degree turn around kind of change. Rather this change is the result of many small and subtle changes. We have learned to live life with epilepsy. I’ve learned to make sure I take my seizure medication twice a day every day or else risk putting myself at higher risk of having a seizure. We’ve had discussions on what kind of seizures merit going to the ER and which are just a part of life now. I’ve given actual thought to who my emergency contacts are, keep the list updated, and make sure the list is in an easily discoverable place. I’ve educated the people I’m around regularly on what to do in the case of a seizure. Sometimes I think twice before doing some simple tasks by myself when no one else is around or home- like showering, taking the dog on long walks at night, working late at the office when everyone else has left, and even still, driving. Patrick now pays attention to noises I make in my sleep and gets concerned if I don’t answer my phone right away. I’ll now always be sure to pack an extra set of clothes in my carryon when I fly or travel just in case of a seizure that causes incontinence. I now pay attention to every headache, every woozy feeling, and any other feeling or sensation in my body that I probably never even noticed before because I’m still not completely sure what a seizure coming on feels like. And in spite of all of this, I consider my epilepsy to be mild compared to some other cases I’ve heard of. I had six seizures in a year; some people have more seizures than that in a day.

But the most significant way that epilepsy changed my life, is that through it, God strengthened my faith and as a result has given me peace that surpasses understanding. Problems, worries, and trials that have come up over the past year have not burdened me like they used to. Uncertainty of the future is not as scary as it once was. I haven’t spent time worrying about possible worst-case scenario outcomes. Rather than panicking when plans have changed, seemingly for the worse, I have been able to take a deep breath and adjust or make a new plan accordingly. I have not been consumed with worry over bad news, but rather through God’s strength, I have felt calm and assured that everything will work out. I am not sharing this to try and brag because it is not something I have accomplished or obtained. I share this because this is a kind of peace that even I don’t understand. It is not conjured up from deep within but rather is given to me through the Holy Spirit. It is so foreign to me and so “not of myself,” that I have to give all of the glory to God.

Good health is a wonderful thing and I would never wish sickness and disease on anyone. However, good health can give us false assurance in ourselves, our strength, and our abilities. And though we may not realize it, sometimes we put more trust in our health than we do in God. Looking back on life before epilepsy, I think that certainly described me. When I started having seizures again, it was a painful reminder that my strength was not enough. Epilepsy forced me to rely and trust in God more fully. As a result of relying on God rather than my own abilities, I have been given peace that even I don’t understand to face any circumstance. I don’t know if I’ll ever get back to “life without epilepsy” again, that would be nice but that’s not the ultimate goal. No matter what God has in store for me, epilepsy or not, my goal is to never forget how to live life relying on God’s strength so I can continue to have peace that surpasses all understanding.

 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment