Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Costa Rica Mission: Learning


Day 4: July 16, 2012
I got up bright and early and got ready to walk to church. I made sure I had my umbrella, because as usual it was raining. I helped set things up for breakfast and made sure everything was where it needed to be. A lady and her daughter came into the rancho where breakfast was being prepared. This lady greeted me in Spanish and I did my best to greet her back. Then I heard her speaking in good English to another team member. She then said something else to me a little later in Spanish and I was having a hard time understanding her. I apologized in English for being out of it and not understanding. She was confused, she thought I was a Tico! She thought I was the daughter of the woman that was cooking. I guess I’m glad I blend in rather than stand out. It wasn’t long before it was time for church to start.

Everything was translated into English because so many of us are from the US. Worship was pretty cool. The Ticos are so much more excited during worship! There was no holding back from many of them. The pastor of the Victory church mission team gave the message and preached on the Holy Spirit and its importance. It was definitely a very different church service than I am used to, and not just because it’s in a different country. But it was still good and it will help me to learn more about other churches and customs.

After church, we rushed off to a small restaurant with the team. We all ate there and I enjoyed practicing some Spanish with a girl from the church, Nati. She also speaks English so it was helpful to practice with someone that understood my mistakes and helped me correct them. Like when I said, “Voy a Texas en enero de dos mil once.” She said, “Fui? Fui a Texas?” Then I realized that I had previously told her, “I go to Texas in January of 2011.” Oops!

After lunch we hurried to “Zamora” which is a pretty rundown area. The Costa Rican government made the people there move their homes so they could make them nicer ones but the government isn’t helping them to rebuild the homes the people had to move. But the houses seem to be made out of anything the people can find. I didn’t think Christine’s house was super nice, the walls are pretty thin and it’s a small house with a lot of ants in the kitchen. Not to mention the only way you can have a hot shower is if you keep the water pressure really low and you can't flush toilet paper, you have to throw it away. Compared to a lot of homes in the USA it’s not a very nice house or place to live. But compared to some of the other houses I have seen, it is a really nice house. After all, it has tiled floors and a fence and electricity and running water. I guess it all just comes down to perspective.

We took the team there to start making relationships with the people in that area. Some of played with the kids for the hour and half that we were there. Others went door to door to get to know the people and there were even some salvations. We played with sidewalk chalk and did hopscotch and four square. We had jump ropes and balls to play with the kids. We had bubbles (burbujos) for the kids to play with too. “Es un regalo?” One of the girls asked me wondering if it was a gift. “Si, es un regalo pero necesita compartir con los otros chicos.” (Yes, it’s a gift but you need to share with the other kids.) I had fun just walking around and blowing bubbles and taking pictures. It started off that there were more team members than kids. But it wasn’t long until the kids outnumbered us.

Since we had a limited number of translators and many of them were playing with other kids, we often had to try to understand what was being said to us on our own. What was really cool was that I got into a situation where I was the only one in one area of the place we were playing that spoke some Spanish. So I was translating at one point! Yes! You heard me right! I, me, Lindsey, was translating! I had practiced saying, “El otro grupo viene la proxima semana.” (another group is coming next week) to a guy that was standing there with the kids. And it just so happened that some of the members of the Victory Team wanted to ask him some questions.
“How are you?” someone asked.
“Como estan?” I asked him and the woman standing next to him.
“Are these girls your daughters?” a woman asked.
“Sus hijas (Your daughters)?” I said pointing to the little girls.
“No, son mis sobrinas. Soy sus tio. (No, they’re my nieces, I am their uncle).”
The conversation continued and some of the team was asking him questions like what his favorite kind of music was. He told us that he was a reggae singer but he sang only for Jesus. He even had business cards and he passed them out to us. Then he sang us one of his songs. It was really cool. I translated for about five minutes or so before I got stuck and needed help. It was definitely a confidence boost for me. I really enjoyed Zamora. I can’t wait to go back next week with our next mission team that’s coming.

After Zamora we went back to the church to have dinner and then get ready for the free movie night the church was hosting. We all started by playing games outside the church. We had free temporary tattoos and other ball games going on. Unfortunately we didn’t get very far through our movie. The projector kept overheating and shutting off! So we called it quits on the movie and improvised. Christine did some goofy songs with the kids in the front. They were songs like Father Abraham and others with the same concept. Then the Victory Team put on a drama and one of their leaders gave a little gospel presentation. So I think everything still worked out. Plus everyone got free popcorn and drinks. It was definitely a good reminder that you have to be prepared for anything in ministry!

So that’s pretty much day 4. I have to be up bright and early again tomorrow morning to be back at the church to set up breakfast! So it’s off to bed for me now. Until then!


 Me with some of the girls I had been playing with.
 This is one part of Zamora.
All the children had fun with the bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment