Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Costa Rica Mission: Being Thankful


Day 7: July 17, 2012
Our first activity of the day was going to a home for the disabled called Manos Abiertas (Open Hands). We spent some time there with the residents. We made balloon animals and gave them hats and let them draw on some dry erase boards. Mostly we just spent some time playing with them. One of the guys was completely decked out in balloons. He had hats and arms full of animals and swords and necklaces and anything else he could possibly have. He was so fun to watch because he was having a blast. Being there was sobering for me because I just kept thinking that if I had not been healed of my brain infection three years ago I could be in the same position that they are. But working with disabled adults is hard for me, I’m not as skilled with them as I am working with children or teens. But it’s good for me to do anyway because it stretches me! I was heartbroken when one of the residents was just standing there. I asked her about the balloon animals she was holding and she threw them down. I picked them back up for her, but when I looked into her eyes it was like I could see how frustrated she was. At that moment in time she wasn’t just a resident with a disability, she was a real hurting human being. I could see that she was having all of the same thoughts I have, she just can’t communicate them in the same way. It reminded me to be thankful that God healed me from my mental disability and that I am now able to live a normal life.

After Manos Abiertas, we ate lunch and then headed to another community to do some evangelizing and playing with kids. We had a TON of kids! If I had to guess how many there were I would guess around 100 to 150. And we were all playing and teaching in this small cul-de-sac in a neighborhood. We were very close to an area that was run down and similar to the community we had been to before. But some houses further up a hill in that area were a lot nicer, while ones down the hill were in pretty rough condition. This area was called Guacima. We had a hard time controlling all of the kids! Unfortunately we weren’t as prepared as we should have been and I had to keep telling kids that we didn’t have anymore gifts for them and that they needed to share with each other. I was impressed with how grateful these kids were just to have a bracelet or coloring book or bouncy ball. Those little things caused them to form a mob around us! That’s how thankful they were for those things.
During our time there I tried to help one lady on the team understand what a little boy was saying to her and vise versa. We found out that this little boy’s name is Antony. He just kind of stole my heart in a way, I could just tell how sweet he was. He was doing a lot better at sharing with the other kids and he was glad when we gave him a New Testament in Spanish. At one point when we were sitting on the grass talking with him, he pointed at the ankle bracelet that I had made with the Lakeshore youth group during the 30 Hour Famine and said that he liked it. I worked on getting it untied and then took it over to him a little later. “Recuerde siempre que Jesus te ama, y yo tambien. (Always remember that Jesus loves you and so do I.)” I said. He just smiled and nodded at me and said thank you once I had helped him tie the bracelet around his wrist. Later I got a picture with him and he told me he wanted to be a pastor someday. Pray for Antony and children like him that have these desires, pray that he will have the resources to pursue dreams like this. A bracelet, so many kids in the United States would look the bracelet over and go straight for the phone in my hands instead. But Antony was grateful to have the bracelet, he didn’t need anything else. He was thankful with the little I had given him.

From the Guacima neighborhood we headed over to a church for a service. And wow was their service different! First off, they are renting the building they are in. But in the states we wouldn’t have even considered this building worthy of renting to have church. It was just a big empty warehouse type thing. They didn’t have a big wooden cross in the front or fancy pews and other gold decorations. They didn’t even really have walls on one side of the building. They had a portable sound system and they didn’t have a worship team. But for everything that they don’t have they make up for in spirit! I was a little worried about worship when I heard CD’s playing, but my goodness! By the end of the worship time most of the people there were dancing and shouting out together. It was convicting to me, because churches in the United States often base their quality of worship off of how good the team is, not how good their God is! We could all learn a big lesson from the people down here that have so little and yet have so much more joy in the word of God than we ever express in our big comfortable churches in the States. Even though their conditions weren’t the best, they were thankful anyway.
 
It’s been a week since I’ve been in Costa Rica now. I can’t decide if it’s gone fast or slow, I think it’s been a little of both. As I am experiencing other churches and customs I have developed a lot of questions and I am re-evaluating some of my own opinions. But my prayer in the long run is that God would reveal truth to me. Pray for me as I seek this truth in Costa Rica. And pray also that God will continue to give me his heart and eyes for the people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment